Skip to main content

C.D. Leganés earns a point against Real Sporting (0-0)

C.D. Leganés earned a point in the match against Real Sporting played at Butarque (0-0). The pepineros had chances to win the match, especially in the second half, but were unsuccessful in front of goal, and ended up having to settle for a draw.

An evenly matched first half, with chances being shared

From the start, Asier Garitano fielded a team with ten of the eleven players who started the last match in Alcorcón, with the only change being the return of Omeruo to the center of defense after serving a suspension, replacing Sergio González. Leganés came out looking to attack, with two corners in the first minutes, in which the pepineros were forced to make the first change due to Borja Bastón's injury, replacing him with Miguel de la Fuente.
The first clear chance was for Sporting with a shot by Manu García that did not find the goal. The duel was evenly matched and without clear arrivals to the areas, with the first one for Leganés coming from Avilés with a shot that went to Mariño's right. In 39', Miguel forced Mariño to make a great save with a left-footed volley. Next, Riesgo prevented Aitor García's goal by deflecting his left-footed shot to a corner. Arnaiz's shot came close to the post before the break.

Leganés dominated the second half but were unsuccessful in front of goal.

The second half started with the same tone, with a couple of dangerous approaches from both teams. Leganés looked for it with Avilés and Arnaiz on the wings and with Miguel's fight up top. Shibasaki had a clear chance in minute 63 with a header from Palencia's cross that went just wide of the post. Then it was Silva who put in the killer pass from the left, but he couldn't find a finisher.
Róber Ibáñez and Juan Muñoz substituted Avilés and Eraso after the hour mark. Javi Hernández also tried his luck from half distance with a whip that did not find the goalposts. Then it was Juan Muñoz who found Mariño with a shot that was too centered. The last changes were Sergio González and Sabin Merino for Silva and Arnaiz. The pepineros were looking for a winning goal that would not come despite the Blue and Whites' insistence in the final stretch.
With the draw, Leganés remains in fourth position with 62 points, and their next match will be on Monday 10 (19:00) against Rayo Vallecano.